|Title:||Co-Defensive Coordinator/Secondary Coach|
Coach Don Jones is entering his first year as co-defensive coordinator/Defensive backs coach at Iowa Central Community College.
Coach Jones spent 2016 and 2017 as the defensive backs coach for Ellsworth Community College. In 2017, the ECC secondary finished 3rd in the country in interceptions with 21 total, 19 of which came from the secondary, and 26 pass break ups. In 2016, the ECC secondary averaged 166.4 yards passing yards per game with 12 interceptions and 23 pass break ups. Coach Jones has developed 5 All-Conference defensive backs during his time at ECC (Elijah Jones, Devon Russell, Javonte Arius, Naeem Smith, and Joshua Belle) and recruited first team All-Conference defensive tackle Keonte Schad. Devon Russell and Elijah Jones have both been recruited and are in FBS programs. Coach Jones developed ECC’s second leading tackler in 2016 and first in 2017. Naeem Smith who led ECC in tackles with 74, Javonte Arius who was second in tackles in 2016 with 73. Coach Jones has also assisted in helping ECC win two consecutive Graphic Edge Bowl games by a combined score of 110-46. Under the guidance of Coach Jones in 2016 and 2017, the ECC secondary has produced 31 interceptions, surrendered only 180 yards per game and allowed a 50% completion percentage.
In 2015, Jones worked as the Offensive Quality Control coach for Dartmouth College and was a part of the 2015 Ivy League championship team.
Prior to that, Jones worked as the Corners coach for Delaware State University. In 2014, the corners at Delaware State was credited with 16 pass break ups, 3 interceptions, and having the sixth leading tackler on the team (William Burton). Jones helped to improve the secondary in his two seasons. Delaware State averaged 207.6 passing yards per game in 2013 and 170.8 passing yards per game in 2014 under his direction.
Before joining the Delaware State staff, Jones was the Defensive Line coach at Westfield State University, MA, during the 2012 season, where he coached All-New England Football Conference First Team Defensive End Chris Walker.
In 2011, Jones was the Running Backs coach at American International College in Massachusetts. The Yellow jackets posted a 6-4 record during the '11 campaign.
During the 2009 and 2010 seasons, Jones was Defensive Coordinator/Defensive Backs at Springfield, MA, Central High School. Under Coach Jones’s guidance, Spfld Central produced six All-Western Massachusetts and six all-conference defensive players during his tenure.
Jones has also served on the coaching staffs at E.E. Waddell High School (RB/DB), where he produced an All Mecklenburg kickoff returner, and Harding University High School (DL), where he produced the Queen City Defensive Player of the Year.
Don has two children, Rebecka and Donovan Jones.
- 2018- Present: Iowa Central Community College – Co DC – Defensive Backs Coach
- 2016-18: Ellsworth Community College – Defensive Backs Coach
- 2015-16: Dartmouth College – Offensive Quality Control
- 2013-2014: Delaware State University – Corners Coach
- 2012-2013: Westfield State University – Defensive Line Coach
- 2011-2012: American International College – Running Backs Coach
- 2009-2011: Springfield Central High School – Defensive Coordinator/DBs
- 2008-2009: EE Waddell High School – Running back/ Defensive backs Coach
- 2007-2008: Harding University High School – Defensive Line Coach
Bowl Game Experience
- 2016: Graphic Edge (55-32 win)
- 2017: Graphic Edge (55-14 win)
- Produced 1 1st team All-Conference defensive back Naeem Smith (FS) and 1 2nd team defensive back Joshua Belle (CB) (2017). Recruited 1st team All-Conference defensive tackle Keonte Schad
- Produced 2 2nd team All-Conference Defensive Backs and 1 honorable mention ( ECC 2016) Elijah Jones (CB), Devon Russell (CB), Javonte Arius(SS)
- Ivy League Conference Champions (Dartmouth 2015)
- Produced 1 All Conference defensive linemen (WSU 2012) (Chris Walker)
- Produced 6 All-Conference defenders and 6 All Western Mass defenders (SPFLD Central 2009-11)
- Produced 1 All Conference defensive specialist and 1 All Conference/All Mecklenburg KO returner (EE Waddell 2008) (Derryck Turner)
- Produced Queen city conference defensive player of the year (Harding University HS 2007) (Joe Hutchinson)
- Elijah Jones, CB, (Transferred to Kansas)
- Devon Russell, CB (Transferred to Buffalo)
- Julius Coates, WR, Rockford, Illinois
- David Allen, OL, Union City, New Jersey
- Keonte Schad, DT, Madison, Wisconsin
- Jack Bastable, QB, Naperville, Illinois
- Ernest Adams, DT, Rockford Illinois
- 2001-05: Westfield State University, Running Back
- College: Westfield State University (2005), University of Phoenix (2009)
- Springfield, Massachusetts