April 30, 2019
By USTFCCCA Communications, USTFCCCA
NEW ORLEANS – We saw some incredible performances this past weekend.
On a weekend headlined by various relay carnivals, individual efforts rocked the national landscape.
Here are 10 of those athletes who stood out the most and were named National Athletes of the Week by the U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association (USTFCCCA) on Tuesday.
- NCAA Division I Men – Mondo Duplantis, LSU
- NCAA Division I Women – Janeek Brown, Arkansas
- NCAA Division II Men – Josh Boateng, Texas A&M Commerce
- NCAA Division II Women – Daisy Osakue, Angelo State
- NCAA Division III Men – David Kornack, UW-Eau Claire
- NCAA Division III Women – Jessica Fields, Redlands
- NJCAA Division I Men – Kenny Bednarek, Indian Hills (Iowa) CC
- NJCAA Division I Women – Winrose Chesang, Iowa Central CC
- NJCAA Division III Men – Edgar Rosa, RC-Gloucester (N.J.)
- NJCAA Division III Women – Mercedes Planavsky, Hudson Valley (N.Y.) CC
Find out more about each of these athletes by clicking their names or by scrolling below.
National Athlete of the Week is an award selected and presented by the USTFCCCA Communications Staff at the beginning of each week to 10 collegiate indoor track & field athletes (male and female for each of the three NCAA divisions and the two NJCAA divisions that sponsor outdoor track & field).
Nominations are open to the public. Coaches and sports information directors are encouraged to nominate their student-athletes; as are student-athletes, their families and friends, and fans of their programs. Nominated athletes are noticed before those athletes found through searching TFRRS.
The award seeks to highlight not only the very best times, marks and scores on a week-to-week basis, but also performances that were significant on the national landscape and/or the latest in a series of strong outings. Quality of competition, suspenseful finishes and other factors will also play a role in the decision.
NJCAA DIVISION I WOMEN – Winrose Chesang, Iowa Central CC
Sophomore | Distance
Winrose Chesang is a National Athlete of the Week after adding her name to the record book over the weekend.
The sophomore posted the third-best performance of all-time in NJCAA history with a 16:33.35 effort in the 5000 at the Drake Relays. She finished as the top collegiate (fifth overall) in the event comprised of NCAA DI athletes.
It was the ninth-best time ran by any collegiate athlete in the event this past weekend.
Chesang is the ninth athlete in Iowa Central CC history to earn the nod for National Athlete of the Week during the outdoor season.